Visit SummerOfFunBlog.com Keep up with all of Lian's Adventures.

Lian's Summer of Fun

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Making School Fun: Book It

I really hate to read. It is hard. The only thing worse is writing. The letters don't always stay in the same order and some words no matter how hard I try, I always get wrong. I love a good story. My friends at school are always talking about books they have read. I want to read them too. Last summer mom read my reading list to me while I tried to read one book. This summer I want to read all my own books about everything.

I have had to do a lot of extra tutoring to work on my reading. Mom and me work on extra reading almost every day. My school participates in the Book It program. If you read so many minutes every month you can get a free pizza. I would do anything for pizza. 
I was reading on their Facebook page about how it started and I think it is cool. My dad would think like that.

The BOOK IT! program was created by a former Pizza Hut president who was searching for a way to motivate his child to read. Each time the son met a reading goal, he received a trip to Pizza Hut with his father. The motivation worked and the son began reading more and spent quality time with his father.
In 1985, Pizza Hut officially adopted literacy as its corporate cause and established the BOO K IT! National Reading Incentive Program under the guidance of an advisory council that included the American Federation of Teachers, National Education Association, National Association of Elementary School Principals, National Association of School Boards of Education and the National Council of Teachers of English. In 1989, Pizza Hut and the Center for the Book in the Library of Congress created National Young Readers Day to highlight the importance of reading.


I haven't always made my goals. Some months it's just hard enough to get school done. I try really hard. My teacher makes a big deal about it too. Not just pizza. Sometimes she gives stickers or a bookmark for making goal.  Next year I am going to be super good at reading. 


There are lots of ways to get information on the Book It program.

https://twitter.com/#!/bookitprogram 


No comments:

Post a Comment

What People Are Reading This Week

Click Every day! The Autism Site